Welcome to Opal Class
Monday afternoon is our indoor PE day and Wednesday is our outdoor PE day. Please bring both kits each week.
The children have been very busy this week. They are working very hard, both Miss Warner and Mrs Hudson are blown away at their maturity and how they are ready to learn. They have been working hard on their 'Rainbow challenges' using the areas of provision, independently learning with many exciting resources. We encourage children to complete their rainbow challenges each week and we assess this throughout the week.
In English we have been looking at the differences between letters, words and sentences. We have also introduced our story for this half term. 'The Star eyed Crocodile'. The children were very excited to receive a letter from the moon explaining that the stars had been stolen from the sky and could they help find them! We found lots of stars hidden around school!! We also ade predictions about the book and we are looking forward to reading it next week!
In maths we have continued our work on at number and counting. The children haave been looking at fewer, more then, counting on and back and looking at one more and one less of a given number. Number formation is a focus, ensuring numbers are the correct way round. Please encourage children to correct their numbers if you notice they are back to front!
Children have been put into their relevant phonics groups and have been working hard on their phonic sound and a tricky word, each day. We have been impressed with how the children have been focused and working so hard in phonic sessions too!!
Children have all received their reading books and reading records. All children will read with both Miss Warner and Mrs Hudson 1:1 every week. If they have read at least three times and they have read all of their book, we will then change their book. We encourage children to re-read their reading books to encourage fluency and understanding. Many thanks with this.
In P.E. the children have been learning new dance, they are really starting to learn the routine and moves!!
On Thursday afternoon Miss Armstrong came into year one to teach art. The children enjoyed learning about new artists and having a go at creating tier own pieces of art.
What Makes me a Superstar?
We will be focused on learning the fundamental skills of English as we become familiar with key texts. Our comprehension skills will include story retelling
and sequencing. We will be concentrating on sentence work as we compose a range of sentences, looking closely at spelling and punctuation.
- Count to ten, forwards and backwards, beginning with 0 or 1, or from any given number.
- Count, read and write numbers to 10 in numerals and words.
- Identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations including the number line, and use the language of: equal to, more than, less than (fewer), most, least.
- Given a number, identify one more or one less.
Addition and Subtraction
- Represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts (within 10).
- Add and subtract one digit numbers (to 10), including zero.
- Read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition (+), subtraction (-) and equals (=) signs.
- Solve one step problems that involve addition and subtraction, using concrete objects and pictorial representations and missing number problems.
Outdoors, we will be exploring walking through space in different levels and directions, using different body parts and at different speeds and flow (e.g. Softly/lightly).
We will learn how to walk efficiently, discovering walking technique, body awareness (e.g. use of arms) and time and energy.
Our walking will include different pathways, relationships (with others), walking at different speeds and levels.
Dance: Discovering movement
We will explore simple movement using different parts of the body in isolation e.g. tapping feet in time to the music.
- Identify, name, draw and label the basic parts of the human body and say which part of the body is associated with each sense.
Physical health and wellbeing: Fun times/What keeps me healthy?
- Food that is associated with special times, in different cultures
- Active playground games from around the world.
- Know what a healthy diet looks like and its benefits.
We will use technology to organise, store, manipulate and retrieve digital content purposefully to create a healthy lifestyle poster.